Built around 1909 as worker housing for Petersburg Tannery (current site of Pizza Hut), The Tannery House was originally one of 10 row houses and is the only remaining structure. The Tannery Worker’s Association and the Grant County Historical Society moved it to its current location in 2007. They had a two-week notice to arrange the move and, with a lot of help, moved it from its previous location from the vacant lot beside Harper’s Auto Parts in a 15-minute span.
The house has been restored it to its period condition- including its coat of yellow paint. Furnishings of the era have been selected to demonstrate how a tannery family would have lived at the time of the tannery’s closing.
The Tannery House is located at 115 Virginia Ave in Petersburg (behind the Old Courthouse). The Historical Society opens it for public viewing on special occasions like July 4th and Heritage Weekend. Private group tours may be scheduled by appointment.